Use only safe sources of alternative heat such as a fireplace, small well-vented wood or coal stove or portable space heaters. Always follow manufacturer’s instructions.
When using alternative heat sources such as a fireplace, woodstove, etc. always make sure you have proper ventilation. Keep curtains, towels and potholders away from hot surfaces.
Have a fire extinguisher and smoke detectors – and make sure they work.
If you use kerosene heaters to supplement your regular heating fuel, or as an emergency source of heat, follow these safety tips:
· Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
· Use only the correct fuel for your unit.
· Refuel outdoors ONLY and only when the unit is cool.
· Keep the heater at least three feet away from furniture and other flammable objects.
· When using the heater, use fire safeguards and ventilate properly.